Actually I have a bought a full whole chicken and took few of the parts like breast and thigh pieces for the other dish. So I was about to discard few of the parts like bones, skin, fat and tiny chicken pieces; that I time feel using all these again for some dish and finally it resulted in this soup recipe.
The taste and flavor of this soup was delicious, I loved it to the core. I have induced thyme for its flavor and healthiness; you could also add any herbs which love to have. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Assorted discarded chicken pieces – 200 gm
- Rice noodles – 1 cup
- Carrot – 1 no
- Onion – 2 nos
- Ginger – 1” inch stick
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Cardamom – 1 no
- Cloves – 6 nos
- Peppercorns – 5 nos
- Cinnamon – 3 barks
- Star Anise – 3 nos
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 3 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Fresh thyme – ½ stalk
- Pigeon pea / Toor dal – 2 tbsp
- Water – 7 cups
- Olive oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Roughly chop the onions and finely chop the carrots. Break the cinnamon to pieces.
- Soak the rice noodles in water for 30 mins and drain the water. Keep it aside.
- Take all these ingredients together in a bowl, cover with the lid and let it boil for abt 30 mins.
- When the chicken pieces are cooked, take out the chicken. Separate chicken from the bones and discard all other pieces (bones, skin). Now crunch those chicken pieces with your hands and again put them into the soup.
- Let it boil and wait till the soup reduces in quantity and comes to the soup consistency.
- Now boil 2 cups of water in a pan, wait till the water reaches to high boiling stage. When it’s reached put in the rice noodles and keeps on turning it gently with a fork. Do not stir because it would break into pieces.
- When the rice noodles are cooked, drain it. Wash them in the running tap water and once again drain them. Keep it aside.
- Check for the consistency of the soup. Turn off the flame, once it’s reached.
- Now drain the soup leaving the chicken and carrot pieces.
- I have used a small bamboo bowl for serving, because it would still enhance the flavor.
- Put little of the rice noodles in a bowl and garnish with finely chopped coriander or parsley leaves and a piece of lemon wedge.
- Pour the soup into the bowl.