I have posted few fish curries; each one is completely different from the other. Now again I have chosen a completely different method. My mom used to prepare fish curry in this method. Here I have just grinded the coconut and cumin seeds, then have taken all the ingredients together and let it boil. This curry has sweet, spicy and tangy because of the shallots, chillies and tamarind extract.Let us move on to the recipe…
- Barracuda fish / Seela meen – 200 gms
- Onions – 3 nos
- Tomato – 1 ½ no
- Green chillies – 1 no
- Curry leaves – a string
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Tamarind – a gooseberry size
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Clean and cut the fish into desired shapes. I have chopped off the bones and cubed it.
- Finely chop in the onions and roughly chop the tomatoes and slit the green chillies.
- Grind the coconut and cumin seeds to a fine paste, then add 3 tbsp of chopped onions and again coarsely grind them.
- Take a heavy bottomed bowl, put onions, mustard seeds, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt, tamarind extract, salt, curry leaves, ground coconut paste and two cups of water. Mix all these together.
- Keep the bowl in the stove, cover with the lid and let it boil. When it boils and reduces ¼ th of its quantity, put in the fish and cover with the lid.
- After 10 mins, open the lid and put the tomatoes and cover with the lid.
- After 15 mins, open the lid and pour in the oil and put it medium flame.
- After the fish is cooked and the curry reduces to ½ th quantity, open the lid and put in low flame.
- Turn off the flame once the oil gets separated and floats on the top of the curry.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.