Green gram also known as Mung bean. It has high fiber and nutrient content, with number of health benefits. We had this as lunch recently in a hotel; my daughter loved it a lot. So thought of preparing the same at home. The taste and the aroma was the same that we had in hotel and everyone loved to have this. Also a very simple, easy and healthiest dish to prepare.
It’s good for people in diet, since it helps with weight control, lowers blood pressure and also an excellent source of protein. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Green gram / Paasi payaru / Mung bean – 1 cup
- Raw rice – 2 cups
- Water – 7 cups
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Soak both the rice and green gram/mung bean for about 30 mins in water.
- Wash, clean and drain the water.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker. Put mustard, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Put the rice and greengram/mung bean, sauté for 5 mins.
- Pour in the water, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt.
- Cover and cook for 4 sounds.
- Remove the lid once the pressure is released and mash it well.
Serve hot with any thovayal/thogayal. I have accompanied with Paruppu thogayal / Dal chutney.
Note: The consisteny of this rice should be semi-liquid, so even after pressure cooked it doesn’t come to the consistency. Pour some more water, keep on stirring and put in medium flame till it comes to semi liquid consistency.