This is a very simple dish which goes out well with any dal rice and variety rice. Also this take place in meals platter as a side dish for rasam. This is an traditional Tamil recipe, but this is the first time I have prepared. Also it’s good for health.
I have roasted and grounded the gram/dal/paruppu in this recipe with little coconut. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Pigeon pea / Tur dal / Tuvaram paruppu – 5 tbsp
- Bengal gram / Kadala paruppu – 5 tbsp
- Pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Red chillies – 6 nos
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Asafoetida / Hing – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put red chillies, hing/asafetida, pigeon pea/tuvar dal, Bengal gram/kadala paruppu, black peppercorns, garlic and sauté them in medium flame until they turn golden brown and the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the coconut pieces and again continue sauting for 4 to 5 seconds and switch off the flame.
- Grind it coarsely by adding little water and salt, once it comes to the room temperature.
This goes out well with Kootanchorru, Kanji/Koozh (Porridge) and rasam rice.
I love this pachadi. In our home, one way to eat it is mix it with rice and lots of ghee. Then dunk small balls of it in Majjiga Pulusu or Mor Khuzambu. Simply heaven.
wow, will try soon.
Agree with Aruna.. That is the perfect combo.. My fav chutney/ Thogaiyal
I love this with the South Indian thali 😍