This is a very simple dish which goes out well with any dal rice and variety rice. Also this take place in meals platter as a side dish for rasam. This is an traditional Tamil recipe, but this is the first time I have prepared. Also it’s good for health.
I have roasted and grounded the gram/dal/paruppu in this recipe with little coconut. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Pigeon pea / Tur dal / Tuvaram paruppu – 5 tbsp
- Bengal gram / Kadala paruppu – 5 tbsp
- Pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Red chillies – 6 nos
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Asafoetida / Hing – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put red chillies, hing/asafetida, pigeon pea/tuvar dal, Bengal gram/kadala paruppu, black peppercorns, garlic and sauté them in medium flame until they turn golden brown and the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the coconut pieces and again continue sauting for 4 to 5 seconds and switch off the flame.
- Grind it coarsely by adding little water and salt, once it comes to the room temperature.