Dal Curry or Paruppu Kulambu is prepared commonly during Tuesday in most of the Tamilian families. There are variety of Dal Curry / Paruppu Kulambu, this is one such variety which is little watery compared to the other ones. Dal curry goes out well with steamed rice and Appalam / Pappad or potato fry. Also it goes out well with dosa.
- Pigeon pea / Toor dal / Tuvaram Paruppu – 4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds / Methi – a pinch
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Red chillies – 3 nos
- Onion – 1 no (medium sized)
- Tomato – 1 ½ nos
- Asafeotida/Hing – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Coriander leaves – 2 stalks
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
Making of Dal Curry / Paruppu Kulambu recipe / Lentil Stew Recipe –
- Wash and drain pigeon pea.
- Take pigeon pea/tuvaram paruppu along with turmeric powder, 2 cups of water, and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Peel and finely chop the onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves and keep it aside.
- Remove the lid, when the pressure is released. Mash the dal well. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies and curry leaves and wait till they crackle.
- Add the onions and fry till they turn transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they turn pulpy.
- Pour the mashed dal followed by a cup of water, along with asafetida and salt.
- Cover and cook for 3 mins, sprinkle coriander leaves over it.
- Remove from fire.
Serve along with steamed rice and ghee. It’s good for babies to be started as their first food.