This is a traditional Indian dish, I use to make this very often. This is a must accompanied with rasam and potato or ladysfinger fry best suits this dish.
- Pigeon pea – 4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split black gram – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Red chillies – 3 nos
- Onion – 1 no (medium sized_
- Asafeotida/Hing – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Wash and drain pigeon pea. Take pigeon pea/tuvar paruppu along with turmeric powder, asafetida, salt and 2 cups of water, pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
- Slice the onion into thin slices.
- Remove the lid, when the pressure is released. Mash the dal well. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat oil in a kadai, put mustard, blackgram, cumin seeds, red chillies and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Put the onions and fry till they turn transparent.
- Pour this to the dal and stir it well.
Serve along with steamed rice and ghee. It’s good for babies to be started as their first food.