This Beetroot chutney can be served both as chutney and dip. Kids love the taste of this chutney, so this would be best intake of beetroot for kids next to beetroot halwa. It taste delicious and the colour attracts the kids a lot.
These beetroot’s have many been packed with too much of health benefits such as they cure anemia, helps to reduce bad cholesterol.
- Beetroot – 2 nos (big sized)
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly oil – 1 tbsp
- Peel and roughly chop the beetroots into medium sized pieces. Pressure cook them with water for 3 whistles.
- Open the lid and drain the water. Grind them to fine paste by sprinkling water to a fine a paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai, put mustard, blackgram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Pour in the beetroot paste with enough salt. Keep on stirring for 2 mins and sprinkle asafoetida.
- Cover with the lid, stir once in a while. Keep in medium flame, till the oil separates.
Serve hot with all Indian breads and dosa, idli.
Note: I have made a sweet and tangy version, when you need spicy version you can put red chillies or green chillies along with the mustard seeds while tempering.