This is one another important dish rite on the day of Thiru karthigai. We use to prepare these ladoo, early in the morning and would be fasting on the whole day by taking only these ladoo’s and liquid food. About 5 p.m in the evening after liting the deepam(lamps) and our prayers, we start having a big vegetarian food. This ladoo is made with roasted peanuts and crushed jaggery, also this is a perfect combination. It’s not good for health when you take peanuts alone, but when you take it with jaggery, it’s healthy, yummy and crunchy. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Peanuts/Nila kadalai – 300 gms
- Jaggery – 200 gms
Making of Nilakadalai Urundai / Peanut Ladoo –
- Take the peanuts in a heavy bottomed kadai and dry roast them, till the raw smell goes off and the skin starts to peel off.
- Bring them to room temperature and peel off the skin.
- Crush the jaggery.
- Take the roasted peanuts in a blender, coarsely grind them.
- Add in the crushed jaggery to the blender and again coarsely grind them along with peanuts.
- Transfer them to a bowl. Roll it into small balls.
Note: Store them in an airtight container and these stay fresh for 2 days in room temperature and after 2 days, we could refrigerate them. Do not grind them to a fine powder, it should be coarse grinded else the crunchiness would be lost.