This is one of the most important and traditional recipe on Thiru Karthigai. As per the locality, the recipes for this festival alone differ all over Tamilnadu. Mean while born and brought up in thoothukudi, after marriage has been entered to Sivakasi, I use to follow both the places tradition. This roasted gram ladoo and roasted peanut ladoo are the important and coming to Thoothukudi – “kozhukattai (Dumpling) are most famous, that to here the riceflour with sugar and some spices are filled in the palm leaf and steamed. As I don’t get this palm leaf here in Bangalore, I am continuing with these ladoo’s.
Let us first move on to the roasted gram ladoo…
- Roasted gram / Pottukadalai / Porikadalai – 500 gms
- Sugar – 250 gms
- Ghee / Clarified Butter– 2 tbsp
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Take the roasted gram in a blender and grind them to a fine powder.
- Add sugar to it and again blend them to fine powder.
- Sieve the grounded flour and transfer them to a bowl.
- Pour in the ghee and mix them with your hands.
- Sprinkle water to the mixture and mix them well with the hands.
- Now hardly tighten the flour with your palm and make it to small balls.
Note: This can be stored in an airtight container for 2 days in room temperature.