This spicy mashed potato is an authentic south Indian dish. When it comes to potatoes, I love them a lot. I prepare this dish very often and it’s been a must in my menu when it comes to big vegetarian platter or vegetarian meals. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Potatoes – ¼ kg
- Onions – 1 no (medium sized)
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Boil the potatoes, drain the water and mash them.
- Finley slice the onions.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, split blackgram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions and fry them till they become transparent.
- Add in the mashed potatoes, slat, chili powder and turmeric powder. Mix them well and sprinkle little water.
- Saute them well, till the water gets dry.
- Transfer into a bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot. This goes out well with steamed rice and sambhar.