From the past two trips whenever I am to my hometown (Tuticorin), we never miss to get this Duck meat on Karur – Namakkal highways. Duck is a staple food of those people and there are too many roadside hotels and also they got their own Duck farm. We use to have Duck fry with parotta or idli or Dosa among one of those hotels and carry some of the raw meat for cooking.
As already I have posted few duck recipes, now again with new recipes with new taste, flavors and attractive colors. Let us move to the recipe…
- Duck meat – ½ kg
- Red chillies – 5 nos
- Black peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds (Sombu) – 1 ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Methi / Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – two string
- Onions – 2 nos (medium sized)
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut pieces – 1 ½ tbsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Dry roast red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns and methi / Fenugreek seeds in a kadai, till the raw smell goes off. Bring it to room temperature and grind it to a fine paste by adding little water. Keep it aside.
- Dry roast coconut pieces in a kadai and grind them to a fine paste by adding little water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add mustard seeds, a pinch of cumin seeds and half of the curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions and ginger-garlic paste, cook till the onions turn transparent.
- Add in the Duck meat followed by turmeric powder and salt. Cook till the meat gets blnd with the meat.
- Add the grounded spice paste and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the grounded coconut paste and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in three cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Cover with the lid and wait for 5 whistles. Remove the lid when the pressure is released.
- Transfer it to a bowl and garnish it with the leftover curryleaves.
Serve hot with steamed rice, idli, dosa and parotta.
Note: Duck meat consumes time to cook, whereas the male duck consumes less time compared to the female one. But the taste, flavor and fragrance remain the same. You could little amount of methi / Fenugreek seeds to all the Duck dishes, since the duck meat produces heat and consists of fat.