When it comes to eggplant, may be Baby Eggplant or Aubergine, I love it a lot. This time when I am to my hometown, got white eggplants and was about to prepare a dish with it. Upto me this not a traditional or authentic tamilian recipe, I have induced few of the spices that loved to the core. Also the dish came very well with wonderful aroma, attractive color and delicious taste. Give a try, I am sure that everyone will love it. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Baby Eggplant – ½ kg
- Onions – 1 no (medium size)
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek / Methi seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fennel / Sombu seeds – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Yogurt / Curd – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Chop the head and thinly slice the eggplants lengthwise. Soak them in a bowl of water.
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Dry roast cumin, fennel and fenugreek/methi seeds and crush them to a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the mustard, blackgram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Drain the water and add in the eggplants followed by turmeric, chili powder and salt.
- Stir them well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the coarsely grounded spice powder followed by garam masala. Stir them well, till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup of water, bring them to boil. Cover and cook, till the eggplants are done.
- Add in the curd / yogurt and give a stir to get it blend to the gravy. Wait till it gets thicken.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with steamed rice and sambhar. It goes out well as side dish for meals.
Note: I have used white eggplant and you can use whatever the eggplants you get even can use aubergine.