Lima Beans are also known as “Butter Beans”, because of their starchy and buttery texture, Butter beans have a delicate flavor that complements a wide variety of dishes. Although fresh butter beans are often difficult to find, they are worth looking for in the summer and fall when they are in season. Dried and canned beans are available all over the year. I have got it from my hometown and prepared a delicious side dish. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Butter beans – 250 gms
- Onions – 1 nos(medium sized)
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Coconut pieces – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green chilies – 2 nos
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Finely chop the onions.
- Grind the coconut, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds and green chilies all together to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add mustard, split blackgram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions and cook till they turn golden brown.
- Add in the butter beans/lima beans followed by salt and turmeric powder. Cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the grounded coconut masala and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup of water and allow it to boil.
- Now cover and pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
- Remove the cover when the pressure is released. Cook in medium flame till it becomes dry.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot. Goes well a s side dish with vegetarian meals.