The stem of banana plant or plantain stem contains fibre rich in medicinal qualities. They taste bitter, but since they are packed with too much of medicinal values they are used in salads and cooked into variety of dishes.
Even Doctors recommend to intake them particularly for stone treatment like kidney and gall bladder stones. Because of its richness in fibre, it is good for weight loss, it’s good for diabetic patients since it does not raise the blood sugar level and also they are used in the treatment of urinary tract infections. So after getting its medicinal values, I have planned to intake atleast once a week. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Plantain stem – 200 gm
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Split Blackgram – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Onions – 1 no (medium size)
- Curry leaves – a string
- Grated coconut – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Peel out the outer layer of the plantain stem, cut them into thin rounds and finely chop them into small pieces.
- Pressure cook the chopped plantain stem with 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp of chili powder and 1/4 tsp of salt for about 2 whistles. Drain the water and keep them aside.
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add in the mustard seeds, blackgram and curry leaves, wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions and fry till they turn transparent.
- Add in the plantain stem and sprinkle turmeric powder, chili powder and salt. Cook till the raw smell goes off for abt 5 mins.
- Add in the grated coconut and cook them till the coconut is done.
- Transfer it to a bowl and serve hot.
Goes out well a side dish for sambhar, curries made with tamarind sauce (pulikulambu).