Have seen too many recipes from my blogger friends with this Kodo millet, me being lazy finally got this Kodo millet / Varagarisi from the market and started wondering what to start first with this. Usually as everyone I too have little sentiments and thought of doing something which taste sweet with this Kodo Millet. As of Pongal tomorrow, I have planned to start up this Kodo millet rice with a version of Sweet Pongal and this resulted in this recipe “SWEET PONGAL WITH KODO MILLET RICE”.
The taste was too good and texture was awesome, it gets melt in the mouth even though we can feel the induvidual ness of kodo millet rice (can feel the balls getting melted in the mouth). You can adjust the quantity of Jaggery as per the taste.
Let us move on to the recipe…
- Kodo millet rice / Varagarisi – 1 cup
- Jaggery (Coconut sugar jaggery / Vellam ) – 1 ½ cup
- Milk – 2 cup
- Moong Dal – ½ cup
- Ghee / Clarfified Butter – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 5 nos
- Grated Coconut – 1 ½ tbsp
- Clean and wash the Kodo millet rice / Varagarisi in water. Drain it and keep aside.
- Take 2 cups of water in a heavy bottomed vessel, bring it to boil.
- Boil the moong dal to mashing consistency.
- Add in the cleaned rice and allow it to boil. Once its half boil add in the boiled moong dal and milk. Continue boiling in medium flame till gets completely boiled.
- Add in the crushed jaggery, stir once in a while until it gets melted.
- Add in the grated coconut and drop it a tbsp of ghee/clarified butter.
- Heat another tbsp of ghee in a tadka, add in the cashewnuts and wait till it turn to golden brown.
- Add in the raisins and wait for few seconds till the raisins increases in size.
- Pour it to the rice, give a stir and keep in low flame for 5 mins.