When the name Lamb Leg is specified, I very well know that people will look for PAYA, but this is not paya and something different from paya. An authentic and traditional dish of Tamilian, which goes out perfect with steamed rice, idli and dosa. The perfect side dish for this curry is Egg omelette and Mixture. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Lamb / Mutton Leg – 4 legs
- Onions – 1 ½ nos (medium size)
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 ½ tsp
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Ginger – 1 “ inch stick
- Tomato – 1 no (small sized)
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves- a string
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 ½ tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Clean and roughly chop the lamb/mutton legs into medium pieces.
- Finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Pound / crush a hand of chopped onions with half tsp of cumin seeds, black pepper, garlic and ginger. Keep it aside.
- Take lamb leg, pounded onion, ¼ tsp of turmeric powder and two cups of water in a pressure cooker. Pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Grind the coconut along with a tsp of cumin seeds to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add in the roughly chopped onions and cook till they become transparent.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook till they become mushy.
- Drain the lamb/mutton pieces from the boiled water. Reserve the water.
- Add in the pressure cooked lamb/mutton pieces alone followed by ¼ tsp of turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the grounded paste and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in the reserved water (stock) and bring it to boil.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles. When the pressure it released, transfer it a bowl.
Serve hot with steamed rice, idli or dosa.