As usual when I started hunting for chicken curry recipes, found a recipe “Pollachi Chicken Curry” by Chef Damodaran. Being a big fan of Chef Damo, bookmarked the recipe; later found out that there were lot of curry leaves induced in the dish and also the dish was green in color. My family loves to have curries for rice in red color, so planned for a small twist in the recipe. I would say that I love this recipe a lot because of the combination of dals / paruppu with the chicken and this being my first dish of trying out chicken with dal. The color, aroma and taste was too good. Guys a different recipe with yummy taste, fabulous aroma and attractive color. It’s a must try dish.
Also a special thing in this post, the very first time I am taking it to Angie’s Fiesta Friday #51, which I have been longing for months. Hope friends would enjoy this recipe 🙂
Let us move on to the recipe…
- Chicken – ¾ kg
- Shallots / Small Onions – ½ kg
- Tomato – ¼ kg
- Red chilies – 7 nos
- Black gram / Ulundam paruppu – 1 tbsp
- Greengram / Paasi paruppu / Moong dal – 1 tbsp
- Bengal gram / Kadalai paruppu – 1 tbsp
- Ginger – 1 “inch stick
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 5 strings
- Cloves – 4 nos
- Cinnamon – 1” inch stick
- Cardamom – 1 nos
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast ¾ th portion of curry leaves and keep it aside.
- Dry roast black gram, green gram and 5 nos of red chilies together, roast till the color changes to golden brown and keep it aside.
- Dry roast bengal gram and leftover red chilies, roast till the color changes to golden brown and keep it aside.
- Peel the shallots and crush them along with ginger and garlic in a mixier or mortar.
- Now take all the dry roasted ingredients (step1,2 and 3) and ground them to a coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Clean and take the chicken pieces in a bowl, add in the grounded powder, turmeric powder, salt and a tbsp of coconut oil. Mix them well with your hands and marinade them for 30 mins
- Heat leftover coconut oil in a kadai, add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the crushed onion and cook till they turn brown in color.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook till they become mushy, add ½ tsp of chili powder, ¼ tsp of turmeric powder and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the marinated chicken followed by salt, cook till the chicken turns in color.
- Pour in 2 cups of water, let it boil, cover with the lid and stir it once in a while.
- Cook till the chicken pieces are done.
Serve hot with steamed rice, also goes well with Dosa. I have accompained this chicken curry with omelette.