Already I have posted a recipe of this Mung Bean rice, but now this is another version. Here I have used Kodo Millet / Varagarisi instead of raw rice, the taste, texture was too good and this resulted in more health conscious than this Mung Bean Rice. A more healthy recipe and good for kids. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Kodo Millet Rice / Varagarisi – 1 ½ cup
- Mung Bean – ¾ cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Chili powder – ¾ tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee / Clarified Butter – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves – a string
- Clean, wash and soak the Kodo millet for 15 minutes. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook mung bean with water for 5 whistles.
- Remove the lid and add the kodomillet rice with 3 cups of water. Let it boil.
- Add in the turmeric, chili and cumin powder along with salt.
- Heat ghee/clarified butter and oil in a tadka. Add mustard, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Pour it to the rice. Let it boil.
- Again pressure cook for 3 whistles. Transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot. This goes out well with thuvayal/thogayal (sesame thogayal) and vadagam.