Offal – also called as variety meats or organ meats, refers to the internal organs and entrails of a butchered animal. The word does not refer to a particular list of edible organs, which varies by culture and region, but includes most internal organs excluding muscle and bone. Everything found in the abdominal cavity (liver, kidneys, tripe, chitterlings, heart, bladder, sweetbreads) along with brains are known in culinary terms as offal. Chitterlings sometimes spelled/pronounced chitlins or chittlins are usually the small intestines of a pig, although the intestines of cattle and other animals are sometimes so named when used as a foodstuff.
Cleaning of Lamb Intestine (Chitterlings) and Intestine bag (Tripe)
- Take out all the intestine pieces from the intestine bag/ sack.
- Soak the Lamb Intestine in plain water for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer them into a bowl of water; hold one of the ends to the running tap water. A little quantity of water gets into the intestine.
- Hold that intestine with your thumb and forefinger, and then pull the intestine with the fingers pressing it tightly.
- In the bottom you could see a yellowish fluid coming out.
- Again repeat the process, while doing this when you see any greenish yellow sticking to the intestine. Remove that with your hands, by pulling them.
- Repeat this process for the entire intestine.
- Finally chop them into small pieces.
- Take out the intestine bag; spread them in a place near the sink. Take a tooth brush scrub the intestine bag with the tooth brush by sprinkling water.
- Now reverse the intestine bag by pulling it out, there you could see the greenish yellow patches sticking at various places.
- Now sprinkle water on the bag and either rub them with the brush or pull out the greenish yellow with your fingers.
- Continue this method for the entire bag.
- Now boil the water in a heavy bottomed vessel, add a pinch of turmeric powder and soak intestines and intestine bag in the warm water for few minutes.
- Check for any greenish yellow patch sticking to it, and clean them well.
- Chop the intestine bag into medium pieces
- Now the intestine is cleaned and ready for your preparation.