As I have told already rasam is one of the comforting foods during winter and health issue. Now in this post I am going to share the Pepper Rasam recipe. This Pepper Rasam is good comforting food during cold; it helps in relief of blocking nose, indigestion and so on. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Tamarind – a gooseberry size
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 ¼ tsp
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Channa dal / Bengal gram – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Coriander leaves with stalk – a handful
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Methi seeds – ¼ tsp
- Red chilies – 2 nos
- Soak tamarind in 250 ml of water and prepare tamarind extract.
- Dry roast black pepper, 1 tsp of cumin seeds, garlic and channadal / Blackgram, till it changes golden brown or the raw smell goes off.
- Bring it to room temperature and grind them to a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard, methi, and curry leaves and red chilies. Wait till they crackle.
- Pour in the tamarind extract, add in the grounded powder and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Stir it well and keep in medium flame. Sprinkle asafetida, when it starts to bubble.
- Switch off the stove, when it begins to bubble not boil.
- Add in the salt and give a stir.
Serve hot with steamed rice, curry and stir fry.
Note: Do not allow the rasam to boil, switch off the stove once it starts bubbling.