Coming to Lamb intestine, this is the first try from my hands. I use to have lamb intestine before marriage, after marriage I haven’t taken any interest because my hubby never eats lamb intestine. But finally when I got see my kids having it in a hotel, it was hot and spicy, so they couldn’t have properly and they want me to cook at home. So took guts and got lamb intestine and started cleaning it. The most important thing here is the intestine taste yummy, but only cleaning the process takes lots of time and needs more patience. Coming to the word patience which never suites me, but the word interest suits very well with me. Finally cleaned the lamb intestine and made a curry, the outcome was it was over in minutes including my hubby everyone in the home loved it a lot. Since this lamb intestine is very hard to digest it can be consumed only for breakfast and lunch. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Lamb intestine – ½ kg
- Shallots – 200 gm
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Ginger – 1” inch stick
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut pieces – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly / Sesame oil – 3 tbsp
- Finely chop the shallots, if you don’t have shallots you can use big onions.
- Clean and finely chop the lamb intestine.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add mustard, ¼ tsp of cumin seeds and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the shallots/big onions and cook till they turn golden brown.
- Add in the lamb intestine and cook them till all the water evaporates.
- Add in turmeric, chili, and coriander powder along with salt and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Grind the coconut pieces along with ginger and garlic to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Pour in the coconut paste and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in 2 cups of water, let it boil.
- Cover with the lid and pressure cook for 5 – 6 whistles. Open the lid and check out whether the lamb intestines are cooked, if so transfer it to a bowl. Else pressure cook again for 2 whistles.
Serve hot with steamed rice. It goes out well with idli, dosa and steamed rice.
Note: Pressure cook lamb intestine with excess 3 to 4 whistles when compared to lamb, because it takes time to get cooked.