This is an authentic dish of tamilian, I prepare this every now and then. I love this dish a lot, not only me most of them love this dish a lot and also this goes out well with any vegetarian dish. Many of us expect a spiced and crispy potato in this dish, but most of them say that the potatoes become soft. I do the same below given procedure so that the potato comes out crispy and the oil gets separates at the final stage.
- Potato – ½ Kg
- Chili powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Peel and chop the potatoes into cubes (small pieces). Soak them in water, so that the potatoes never darken in color.
- Heat oil in a non-stick kadai, add mustard, black gram and curry leaves, wait till it crackles.
- Add the potato pieces along with chili powder, turmeric powder and Cook till they are half done.
- Stir once in a while, else it would be burnt.
- When it’s ¾ th done, add in the salt and cook till the potatoes are perfectly done.
Serve hot. This goes out well with all variety rice, rasam rice and curd rice.
- Do not add salt before the potatoes are half done, because the potato pieces would become soft and you miss the crispy texture.
- You can also increase the qauntity of Split Blackgram to 1 tsp, it would add crunchiness to the dish.