Bottle gourd known as lauki, doodhi and surakkai is best is preparation of curries and side dish(stir fry). This bottle gourd is one of my favorite veggie for almost few years. The very first time I tried it out when I was in Hyderabad, when I come to know that it’s a cooling agent. Finally I love the taste and it’s texture, not only me now I make even kids to have this. Recently when I was to my hometown we found a farm with too many veggies, there we got to get this Bottle Gourd. It has high nutritional value. It’s good for digestion, weight loss, helps in urinary disorders, reduces stress and when taken as juice it refreshes us in summer. So I prepared this curry with farm fresh Bottle Gourd and so the taste was further more excellent. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Bottle Gourd – 1 no (medium sized)
- Onions – 1 nos (medium sized)
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Red chilies – 2 nos (pinched)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Green gram – ½ cup
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Coconut pieces – 3 tbsp
- Green chili – 1 no
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Peel and roughly chop the Bottle gourd into medium pieces.
- Pressure cooks the green gram for 2 whistles and keeps it aside.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Grind coconut pieces, cumin seeds and green chili by adding to little water to a fine paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard, black gram, red chilies and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions and cook till they turn golden brown.
- Add the bottle gourd pieces followed by turmeric powder and salt. Cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup of water, cover and cook till the bottle gourd is boiled.
- Add in the boiled green gram and cook till gets blend with the veggie.
- Sprinkle Asafoetida on the curry and give a stir. Let it cook for few mins, till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in the grounded coconut paste along with a half cup of water, cover and cook till the raw smell goes off.
Serve hot with steamed rice.