On the way to Bangalore from my hometown, got to enter a vegetable farm in Highway and got few vegetables which are farm fresh. When I found that today was Holi and thought of preparing few desserts, got to see this lauki (surakkai) halwa and also was planning long back to prepare this Halwa. This time tried out – LAUKI / SURAKKAI halwa.
It’s rare to take vegetables for dessert; this lauki would delicious in the form of HALWA. Also this recipe is very easy and simple in making. I am taking this to Fiesta Friday #58 hosted by Angie. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Bottle gourd / Lauki / Surakkai – 1 no / 1 kg
- Green food colour – a pinch
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Almonds / Badam – 5 nos
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 8 nos
- Sweetened condensed milk – ½ tin
- Milk – 1 cup
- Clarified Butter / Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Peel and finely grate the Bottle gourd/ Lauki.
- Blanch the almonds: Soak almonds/badam in water for abt 20 mins. Peel the skin and chop them lengthsies. Keep it aside.
- Heat clarified butter / ghee in a non-stick kadai. Add in the cashew nuts and roast till they turn golden brown.
- Add in the raisins and roast till they become double in size.
- Add in the grated bottle gourd / lauki and fry for few mins till the water goes off.
- Pour in the milk followed by green food colour, stir well and cook them till the lauki becomes soft.
- Add in the condensed milk and stir continuously till the mixture is thick.
- Sprinkle Cardamom powder and mix well.
- Stir well, till the ghee/clarified butter separates and leave the sides of the kadai.
- Remove from fire.
Garnish with finely chopped almonds/badam.