I have posted few recipes with Prawns/Shrimps, but this time it’s going to be completely different. I don’t know how many of you, know that prawn goes out well with certain vegetables like Ridge Gourd, Baby Eggplant (Brinjal), Lady’s finger (Okra), Drumstick and Raw plantain. Now I am going to share the recipe with the combination of Ridge Gourd and Shrimps, my grandma use to prepare this very often. Also it’s very difficult for me to make my kids eat vegetables like this ridge gourd, bottle gourd and so on. After this dish my kids love Ridge Gourd, they loved the sweetness of the ridge gourd along with this prawn. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Prawns / Shrimps – 300 gm
- Ridge Gourd – 500 gm
- Onions – 2 nos (medium sized)
- Tomato – 1 no (medium sized)
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 ¼ tsp
- Methi seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chili powder – 1 ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Clean the prawns/Shrimps and keep them aside.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and roughly chop the Ridge gourd and tomato.
- Grind coconut pieces along with a tsp of cumin seeds to fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the mustard, methi, ¼ tsp of cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add in the onions and cook till they turn golden brown.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook till they become mushy.
- Add in all the spice powders along with salt and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in the grounded paste and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the ridge gourd, give them a stir and pour in two cups of water.
- Cover and cook till the ridge gourd is half done.
- Add in the prawns/shrimps, check for the salt. Cover and cook till the prawns/shrimps are almost done.
- Remove the lid and keep in low flame till the oil separates and floats on the top.
Serve hot with steamed rice.
Note: Add prawns/shrimps only before the final stage, else prawns would be overcooked (rubbery while chewing).