Muskmelon is considered as an ideal fruit because of its high water, minerals and vitamins. It involves in managing body heat as well as helps in combating heat related disorders because of its cooling effects, also it regularizes the blood sugar level and so it’s diabetic friendly. As the summer started, I could find too many muskmelons in every nook and corner of the street shops. I love muskmelon and watermelon a lot, so now my refrigerator was stuffed with muskmelon and hence started hunting muskmelon recipes, nothing got fit. Finally I found an apple pudding recipe through one of my blogger friend and I tried out it with muskmelon with little variations. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Muskmelon – 1 no (500gm)
- Raw rice / Pacharisi – 200 gm
- Brown sugar – 7 tbsp
- Milk – 1/2 litre
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Almonds / Badam – 10 nos
- Pista – 10 nos
- Clarified butter / Ghee – 3 tsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 8 nos
- Peel and finely chop the muskmelon, discard the seeds.
- Grind them in a blender to fine puree.
- Clean and soak the rice in water for 10 mins. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Soak almond/badam and pista in warm water for 20 mins. Peel the skin and chop the almonds/badam lengthwise and finely chop the pista.
- In a pressure cooker, add in the clarified butter/ghee followed by cashew nuts and wait till it turns golden brown.
- Add in the raisins and wait till it double in size.
- Add in the soaked rice and stir it gently for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the milk along with a cup of water, let it boil, cover with the lid and pressure cook for 4 whistles till the rice is done (mashing consistency).
- Keep in medium flame, add in the muskmelon puree and cook it for few minutes till it gets blend well with the rice.
- Mash the rice with a spoon and let it thicken.
- Add in the brown sugar along with the cardamom powder and give a stir. Cook till it gets blend well with the rice.
- Remove from the fire and bring to room temperature.
Note: Serve chilled or at room temperature by garnishing it with almonds/badam, pista and small pieces of muskmelon.