Pumpkin Halwa / Parangikai Halwa is a simple and delicious sweet made during festival. Pumpkin Halwa / Parangikai Halwa can be prepared with both yellow pumpkin and white pumpkin. I have prepared with yellow pumpkin. Pumpkin Halwa / Parangikai Halwa is a delicious, healthy and melt in mouth halwa. I have made this Halwa with less quantity of ghee/clarified butter compared with other halwa. Kids loved this halwa a lot. Pumpkin Halwa can be prepared as a neiveidhyam to God. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Pumpkin – ¾ kg
- Sugar – 200 gm
- Clarified Butter / Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 8 nos
- Almonds / Badam – 8 nos
- Peel and roughly chop the pumpkin.
- Soak almonds/badam for 20 mins, peel of the skin and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook the pumpkin with water for about 3 whistles.
- Drain the water; bring it to room temperature and mash it well, ensure no lumps should be there.
- Heat 1tbsp of clarified butter/ghee, add in cashew nuts and roast them till they golden brown.
- Add in raisins and roast them till they double in size.
- Add in the mashed pumpkin, start stirring continuously.
- Add clarified butter/ghee little by little all over the sides of the halwa and start stirring by adding sugar.
- Continue this process till the halwa changes dark yellow in color and the ghee separates out from the halwa and oozes on the sides.
- Grease a tray or bowl with clarified butter/ ghee, transfer the halwa to the bowl.
- Garnish them with chopped (lengthwise) almonds/badam.
Making of Halwa –