Thought of preparing some dessert and found red pumpkin in a large amount in my refrigerator and planned to prepare this as Halwa because no one in my home loves to have pumpkin unless prepared as dessert. This Yellow Pumpkin Halwa is a simple and delicious sweet made during festival. I have made this Halwa with less quantity of ghee/clarified butter compared with other halwa. Kids loved this halwa a lot. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Pumpkin – ¾ kg
- Sugar – 200 gm
- Clarified Butter / Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 8 nos
- Almonds / Badam – 8 nos
- Peel and roughly chop the pumpkin.
- Soak almonds/badam for 20 mins, peel of the skin and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook the pumpkin with water for about 3 whistles.
- Drain the water; bring it to room temperature and mash it well, ensure no lumps should be there.
- Heat 1tbsp of clarified butter/ghee, add in cashew nuts and roast them till they golden brown.
- Add in raisins and roast them till they double in size.
- Add in the mashed pumpkin, start stirring continuously.
- Add clarified butter/ghee little by little all over the sides of the halwa and start stirring by adding sugar.
- Continue this process till the halwa changes dark yellow in color and the ghee separates out from the halwa and oozes on the sides.
- Grease a tray or bowl with clarified butter/ ghee, transfer the halwa to the bowl.
- Garnish them with chopped (lengthwise) almonds/badam/