Today I thought of preparing risotto and planned preparing vegetable risotto. Coming to Risotto it’s an Italian rice dish cooked in broth to a creamy consistency. Here I am going to blog a Vegetable Risotto but in Indian touch, since we love the taste of some specific Indian spices. I have cooked the brown rice with vegetable broth (stock) to a medium creamy consistency with some Indian spices. The taste was delicious, more than the taste the aroma which pulled my kids and hubby to the kitchen and made them wait with hunger in the dinning table. The rice was over within few minutes. . What do I need than this? Let us move on to the recipe…
I am taking this to Fiesta Friday #60 hosted by Angie.
- Vegetable broth (stock) – 6 cups
- Brown Long grain / Basmathi rice – 2 ½ cups
- Mixed vegetables (carrots, green peas, cauliflower and potatoes) – 1 ½ cup
- Onion – 1 no (medium sized)
- Garlic cloves – 5 nos
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Salt to taste
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Cheese cubes – 20 gm
- Vegetable stock: In heavy bottomed vessel, take 2 litres of water, peel and roughly chop the onions, carrots, coriander leaves, potatoes, crush cumin seeds and pepper corns. Add all these vegetables and spices with salt and a tsp of olive oil. Cover and cook in medium flame for an hour. Drain and reserve the broth (stock) and keep it aside.
- Wash and clean the rice. Soak the rice in water for about 20 mins.
- Peel and finely chop the onions, peel and roughly chop the carrots and potatoes into cubes.
- Chop the cauliflower into big florets.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a pressure cooker or a heavy bottomed vessel.
- Add in the onions and garlic cloves, cook them till the onions become transparent.
- Add in the vegetables except cauliflower and all the spice powders along with salt. Cook them till the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the rice and cook for 5 mins by stirring them once in every two mins.
- Pour in 6 cups of reserved broth (stock), vinegar and caulilfower wait till it boils.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles, if in pot cover and cook till the rice is done.
- Open the cooker when the pressure is released and top it with grated cheese.
Serve hot with any side dish. I have accompained it with Chilli Chicken and Coleslaw.