Vazhaipoo / Banana Flower is an excellent source of fibre having it once in a while in food is very healthy. Most of us omit banana flower because it consumes time in cleaning and a difficult job, but I would say that it’s worth cleaning because of its health benefits. Apart form being rich in fiber, it helps a lot in the treatment of excessive bleeding during menstruation, it reduces the blood sugar level so it’s diabetic-friendly, also it helps to recover from anemia. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Plantain blossom / Banana Flower / Vazhai poo – 1 no
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Onion – 1 no
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Red chilies – 2 nos
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Clean and chop the banana flower to small pieces. Soak them in diluted buttermils to prevent discoloration.
- After chopping all the banana flower, drain them from buttermilk and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook the banana flower with a cup of water followed by turmeric powder and salt for 3 whistles.
- Drain the water and keep the cooked banana flower aside.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds, split blackgram, pinched red chilies and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions and cook till they trun golden brown.
- Add in the cooked banana flower, asafoetida and cook till they become soft.
- Add in the grated coconut and cook till they get blend well with the banana flower.
Serve hot. It goes well with steamed rice and fish curry, steamed rice and sambar.