Karuvadu / Dry fish is one of the staple food my hometown, I love dry fish to core. But my hubby never likes dry fish, even he doesn’t like it’s aroma. But now my kids love this Dry fish like me, so I use to prepare this Dryfish curry in a small quantity, only I and my kids will have it.
Here I am going to share a dryfish / Karuvadu curry prepared with Barracuda (seela) Dry fish. There are few vegetable which gives out good taste when combined with this Dry fish and so I have induced Eggplant/Brinjal with this Curry. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Dry fish – 7 pieces (100 gm)
- Onions – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 nos
- Baby Eggplant / Brinjal – 5 nos
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek / Vendayam seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 strings
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Peel and finely chop the onions and tomatoes. Chop the brinjals/baby eggplant lengthwise into 4 equal halves and soak it in water.
- Soak dryfish in hot water for 15 mins, so that the dust would be washed off.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in mustard seeds, split blackgram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions and cook till they become transparent.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook till they become mushy.
- Add in the brinjals/baby eggplant followed by all the spice powders and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup of water, cover and cook till the brinjals are 80% cooked.
- Remove the lid and drop in the dry fish pieces, cover and cook till they are done and the oil separates and floats on the top.
Serve hot with steamed rice and boiled egg or egg omelette.