Cabbage stir fry prepared in the regular way, but the spices I induced here is medicinal, which is good for sore throat, dry cough, indigestion and cold. Summer causes more and more sweat which results in cold and throat irritation for kids. My son loves to have food mostly with non-veg, so I have added prawns/Shrimps to this recipe. If you are veg you could omit prawns and continue with the same procedure. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Cabbage – 250 gms
- Prawns / Shrimps – 150 gms
- Onions – 50 gm
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Ajwain/Omam/Carom seeds – ¼ tsp
- Black Cumin / Nigella seeds / Karunjeeragam – ½ tsp
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Ginger – 1 “ inch stick
- Red chilies – 1 no
- Black Peppercorns – ½ tsp
- Coconut pieces – 1 tbsp
- Coconut oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Salt to taste
- Peel and finely chop the onions, grate the cabbage.
- Clean and devein the Prawn/Shrimps.
- Dry roast red chilies, carom seeds, Nigella / Black cumin, garlic, ginger, black peppercorns, coconut pieces till the raw smell goes off.
- Ground the spices to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard, split black gram and curry leaves, wait until they crackle.
- Add in the onions and fry until they become transparent.
- Pour in the grounded masala and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the grated cabbage along with salt, sprinkle water, cover and cook for few mins.
- Add in the shrimps/prawns and cook for few mins, until it is done.
Serve hot with steamed rice and any curry.