Vangi Bhath is an authentic dish prepared in Karnataka. In this recipe brinjals/baby eggplant are sauted along with spices and tamarind extract, then boiled rice is stirred with this masala. I love brinjal in any form, but my hubby hates brinjal. Therefore, I prepare brinjal only when my hubby goes out for lunch.
This is my first in the preparation of Vangi Bhath, but I have heard it through my blogger friends. Most of population uses store bought masala’s, recently I have been asked for the review with eastern condiments. I have used EASTERN CONDIMENTS – VANGI BHATH masala for this dish, the dish came out very well.
Coming to EASTERN CONDIMENTS – VANGI BHATH masala, it had a good aroma and I could feel it once I open the packet, color – color was much attractive, spiciness – level of spiciness in this masala was medium and it’s suitable for kids, taste – it was too good when combined with tamarind extract and few spices. Already I have posted Brinjal stir-fry with Eastern Condiments Vangi bhath masala. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Boiled Rice – 2 ½ cup
- EASTERN Vangi bhath Masala – 3 tsp
- Brinjal / Baby Eggplant – ¼ kg
- Red chilies – 2 nos
- Verkatalai / Peanuts – 1 tbsp
- Kadala paruppu / Split Bengal gram – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Tamarind – a lime size
- Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Gingelly / Sesame oil – 3 tsp
- Prepare Tamarind Extact.
- Wash and finely slice the brinjals/baby eggplant to pieces (lengthwise). Soak them in water, to prevent them from decolorization.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the mustard seeds, split blackgram, red chilies, curry leaves and wait till they crackle.
- Add in the bengal gram and peanuts, wait till they turn golden brown and make sure they should not be burnt.
- Drain the water and add in the brinjals/baby eggplant along with the EASTERN Vangi bhath masala and salt. Cook them until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in the tamarind extract, cover and cook until the brinjals are done.
- Add in the grated coconut and let it boil.
- Add in the boiled rice and mix them well, so that the rice gets coated well with the masala.
Garnish with roasted peanuts and serve hot with raita and appalam/pappad.
If you find the post interesting, do encourage me by your follow, likes, shares and valuable comments on: Facebook – Madraasi, Twitter – ImMadraasi, Google+ – ImMadraasi, Instagram- ImMadraasi, Tumblr – ImMadraasi, Pinterest – ImMadraasi