After a long time, a chutney into my chutney list – “KARA CHUTNEY”. I had this chutney once in a restaurant and wanted to have it at home, so I have accompanied this kara chutney with Adai / Lentil crepes.
Kara chutney is prepared with onions, tomatoes and red chilies. It goes out well with idli, dosa, adai and so on. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Onions – 4 nos
- Tomatoes – 2 nos
- Red chilies – 9 nos
- Garlic cloves – 5 nos
- Tamarind – a shallot size
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – two strands
- Peel and roughly chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Take onions, tomatoes, garlic, tamarind and red chilies together in a blender. Blend them to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the mustard seeds, split black gram and curry leaves. Wait until they crackle.
- Pour in the finely grounded paste and stir them once in every five mins.
- Continue until they turn to dark red in colour or until the raw smell goes off and the oil separates.
Note: Kara chutney stays fresh for 24 hr in room temperature and stays fresh for 2 days when refrigerated.