Brinjal Lentil Stir-fry is a very simple and easy recipe, with delicious taste and it needs only very few ingredients available in all kitchens. I could say that this my grandma’s signature dish and she loves brinjal to the core than any other veggies. So, she used to prepare this Brinjal stir-fry very often, not only she even I like this dish a lot. She used to accompany this with fish curry. This dish goes out well with any non-veg curries like fish and mutton. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Brinjal / Baby eggplant – ¼ kg
- Pigeon Pea / Toor dal / Tuvaram Paruppu – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 1 no
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp (optional)
- Green chilies – 3 nos
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split black gram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash and finely slice the brinjals into pieces (lengthwise).
- Peel and finely chop the onions, slit the green chillies.
- Pressure-cook the toor dal / pigeon pea / tuvaram paruppu for 2 whistle (it should be boiled but not mashed).
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the mustard seeds, black gram and curry leaves, Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions and cook until they turn transparent.
- Add in the green chilies and brinjal pieces followed by turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt. Cook until they turn color.
- Pour in the boiled dal along with the water, cover and cook for few mins.
- Stir once in every 5 mins, else it would be burnt.
- Cook until the brinjals are cooked, if you need you could sprinkle water in between.
- Add in the grated coconut and stir it well for few mins, until the coconut gets blend well with the brinjal.