Adai is one of the most special and healthy breakfast/dinner recipes and is very common among most of the south Indian families. This is one of the most authentic dishes of TamilNadu. The combination of rice and dals improves the protein quality of this dish. I have been preparing this adai for almost 9 yrs, I came across this recipe through one of my sissy and my hubby loves this a lot, not only my hubby my kids too love this a lot but they love to have with onions and curry leaves.
Do check out my Egg Adai recipe / Muttai Adai recipe, Murungai Keerai Adai / Moringa Leaves Adai , Adai from Leftover rice, Vazhaipoo Adai / Banana Flower Adai.
I have heard that few people accompany this adai with sugar or jaggery. Usually I accompany this adai with sambhar and kara chutney or avial. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Raw rice / Pacharisi – 1 ½ cups
- Toor dal / Tuvaram paruppu – 3 tbsp
- Urad dal / Ulundam paruppu – 3 tbsp
- Channa dal / Kadala paruppu – 3 tbsp
- Asafotida / Hing – ½ tsp
- Onions – 3 nos
- Cumin seeds – 1 ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds / Methi / Vendayam – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Green chilies – 2 nos
- Oil – 3 tbsp
CLICK HERE for more breakfast recipes
- Soak the rice, dals/paruppu’s, 1 tsp of cumin seeds, turmeric powder and methi seeds for about minimum of 2hrs.
- Drain the water and grind it well to a fine coarse batter by adding little water. Store it in a container.
- Peel and finely chop the onions, curry leaves and green chilies.
- Mix onions, curry leaves, salt, turmeric powder, leftover cumin seeds and green chilies to the batter, just before cooking.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a tawa, pour a spoonful of batter and spread it along the tawa.
- Drizzle oil along the sides of the adai, swap the side once when it is cooked.
- Drizzle ½ tsp of oil along the sides of adai, wait until gets cooked.
Serve hot with sambhar and kara chutney or sugar or avial.
Note: Add onions to the batter, only before you start cooking. The consistency of the batter should not be thick, it would take long time to cook and it the consistency is too thin, it would be like a regular dosa.