Raw Mango Pachadi is one of the traditional recipe prepared specially on the day of New Year by most of the south Indian families because of its flavor, it has sour, sweet and spicy taste. Incase when we people need the bitterness they sprinkle little Neem flower while tempering, but I have not used this neem flower for the sake of kids. This is most important dish in my Tamil NewYear Meals / Puthandu / Varusha Pirappu.
This is my first time in the preparation of this Mango Pachadi, but I had in my school days through one of my friend. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Raw Mango – 200 gm
- Jaggery – a cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Black gram – ¼ tsp
- Red chilies – 3 nos
- Asafoetida / Hing / Perungayam – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Crush the jaggery, heat ½ cup of water in a pan and add in the crushed jaggery to it, wait until it becomes thick like syrup.
- Remove from fire, Keep it aside, bring to room temperature and strain the syrup, discard the impurities.
- Wash the raw mango and chop them into medium pieces (do not peel the skin).
- Heat 2 cups of water in a pan and boil the mango pieces (it should be in mashing consistency but not mashed).
- Drain the excess water from the mango, pour in the needed jaggery syrup and keep in medium flame. Wait till it thickens
- Heat oil in tadka, add in mustard, black gram, red chilies, asafoetida and curry leaves. Wait until they crackle.
- Pour it to the mango pachadi, give a stir and serve hot.
Note: You cut the mango to desired size else, you could also peel and grate the raw mango and cook.
Hmmmm… Mouthwatering 😛
wow.. I just looked at the pics and I am mouthwatering.. Nice recipe.. 🙂
Thanks Arasi 🙂