Pulav is slightly spiced rice with delicate fragnance, I use to prepare vegetable pulav once in a while, because hubby likes it a lot. He was the one who taught me to prepare pulav long long ago so long ago. As it was Thursday, I go veggie, so thought of preparing something soya chunks, since I had it in a large quantity, finally planned for this soya chunks pulav. I was nervous, as it was my first time for soya chunks pulav, wonder how it would taste, already it is a vacation time and kids at home, if they never like it …
After the preparation, the aroma and the taste of the pulav was yummy. I would say that this a great treat for the people who are looking for weight loss, a good source of protein and fibre content. Let us move on to the recipe…
It’s Friday and so Iam taking this to Fiesta Friday #66 hosted by Angie@thenovicegardener.
- Soya chunks – 100 gm
- Long grain/Basmathi Rice – 200 gm or 2 ½ cups
- Shajeera – ½ tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Star Anise – 1 no
- Cloves – 4 nos
- Cardamom – 3 nos
- Cinnamon – 2 “inch stick
- Green chilies – 1 no
- Onions – 2 nos (medium sized)
- Cumin powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil – 1 ½ tbsp
- Soya chunks: Take soya chunks in a bowl and soak in warm water for 20 mins. Drain the water, once it doubles in size. Squeeze out the water and chop it to medium pieces.
- Peel and finely chop the onions to small pieces. Slit the green chilies.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker; add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, star anise and shajeera. Wait until they crackle.
- Add in the ginger-garlic paste and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the green chilies and onions, cook until the raw smell goes off and they turn golden brown.
- Add in the soya chunks along with turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt. Cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the long grain/basmathi rice and cook for few seconds.
- Pour in 4 cups of water, bring to boil and pressure cook for three whistles.
- Open the lid, when the pressure is realeased.