Already I have shared few cabbage recipes, but this time I am going to share a purple cabbage recipe. I love this purple cabbage, which has little different taste than the usual cabbage, also it’s little crunchy than the usual ones. Got it during my trip to ooty last month. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Cabbage – 500 gm
- Onions – 1 no
- Green chilies – nos
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Split Green gram – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Wash and finely chop the cabbage into pieces.
- Wash the green gram in water and drain the water.
- Peel and finely chop the onions. Slit and finely chop the green chilies.
- Boil water in a heavy bottomed vessel, add in the green gram dal with little salt. Cover and cook until it’s half boiled.
- Add in the chopped cabbage along with boiling green gram followed by little more salt, cover and cook until the cabbage and green gram is well cooked.
- Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, split black gram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions, green chilies and cook till they turn golden brown.
- Add in the boiled cabbage and green gram, followed by cumin powder and salt. Cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the grated coconut and cook till they become dry.
Serve hot with steamed rice and sambhar. Also goes out well with any mutton curry.