Already I have shared few prawn and dried prawn recipes, but this one is completely different from other curries. I have cooked prawns/shrimps in both brinjal (baby eggplant) and drumstick with ground coconut paste and few spices.
The taste of the curry would be delicious, I could say a finger licking curry and when served with steamed rice not words for the taste of this curry, since you get the flavors of both brinjal and drumstick. This is an authentic and traditional recipe of south Tamilnadu, India. Also my mom use to prepare this quite often. You can also adapt this recipe, when you got little quantity of prawns/shrimps. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Prawns / Shrimps – 250 gm
- Drumstick – 1 no
- Brinjal / Baby Eggplant – 150 gm
- Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Chili powder – 1 ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Grated coconut – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Clean and take out the head of the prawn. Do not throw away the prawn head, chk out this prawn head fry recipe.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Chop the brinjal/baby eggplant lengthwise and soak it in water to avoid decolourisation.
- Chop the drumstick to 3” inch size. Grind the grated coconut along with cumin seeds by adding little water to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard, split black gram, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions and cook till they turn transparent.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook till they are mushy.
- Add in the sliced brinjal along with all the spice powders and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the drumstick pieces with ground coconut paste and cook for few min by sprinkling water, until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup of water, let it boil and then add prawns to it. Cover and cook till the prawns are cooked.
- Remove the lid and keep in low flame, until the oil floats on the top of the curry.
Serve hot with steamed rice.