Already I shared few ragi/finger millet recipes – Ragi upma, Ragi Porridge, Ragi semiya (vermicelli) upma followed by this, comes ragi puttu / ragi steamed cake. A diabetic friendly recipe, when it’s served without sugar. I just prepared it for my hubby, but lucky my kids loved them with sugar. I would gladly say a new dish to my breakfast menu. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Ragi Flour / Finger Millet Flour – 1 ½ cup
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Salt to taste (1 tsp)
- Take ragi flour/finger millet flour in a wide mouth bowl or a plate. Make well in the centre of the flour.
- Pour in water little by little and start mixing it with your fingers, until it reaches the correct consistency (you should be able to make a ball and when you press the ball it should broken into crumbs).
- Add in the grated coconut to the flour and continue mixing it.
- Place it in a steamer. (I have used a baby steamer, you can also steam it in idly steamer or can steam in a microwave steamer).
- After steaming, transfer the puttu to a plate and transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with sugar or chutney.