Dry Fish goes out well when accompanied with Omelette. But this I am going prepare egg with Dry fish, this is a traditional recipe of Tuticorin, TamilNadu, India. Following my grandma, my mom and now it’s me preparing this curry.
This curry has unbeatable taste, even the egg in the curry would have the taste of the dry fish and has the aroma of both egg and dry fish. So I would say that it would be a good treat for the people those who love Dry Fish. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Dry fish – 150 gm
- Eggs – 4 nos
- Onions – 2 nos
- Drumstick – ½ no (optional)
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – two sprigs
- Tomatoes – 1 ½ no
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Peel and finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Chop the drumstick 2 “inch size.
- Clean the dry fish, by soaking it a cup of hot water for 20 min. Take out only dry fish and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in kadai, add mustard seeds, split blackgram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions and cook till they are transparent.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook till they become mushy.
- Add in the drumstick pieces, along with the spice powders and ¼ tsp of salt. Cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup of water, cover and cook until the drumstick is done.
- Add in the dry fish and break the eggs, cover and cook until the eggs are cooked.
- Remove the lid and put in low flame, until the oil floats to the top of the curry.
Serve hot with steamed rice and spinach stir-fry for lunch.
Note: Drumstick is optional, you can also use brinjals in this curry. Add salt only for the vegetables, because the dry fish has salt in it. I have used barracuda dryfish/seela karuvadu.
Also check out my other Fish and DryFish recipes, by clicking this link: https://madraasi.com/main-course/non-vegetarian/seafood/