Already I have shared one recipe with Nungu/Ice apple – Nungu Payasam/IceApple Kheer and now this is my second one. As already told in the previous post, nungu is one among the most important coolant and which is available only in summer. I would say that a seasonal fruit with a yummy recipe, you can prepare this recipe to make the kids consume this Ice apple.
Also I like to thank my friend Subadhra, who shared me the wonderful and yummy recipe. My kids loved it a lot and also as a mom I feel happy that somehow I made the kids consume this Nungu/Ice Apple. This can be served as Dessert for lunchtime. A best coolant for this summer to beat the heat.
I am taking this to Fiesta Friday #69 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Nungu / Ice Apple – 9 nos
- Fresh Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 ½ tsp
- Nannari syrup – 1 tbsp
- Skin out the Nungu/Ice apple.
- Take the nungu in a wide mouth vessel and crumble it well with your hands. Do not pulse or blend in blender.
- After well crumbled, pour in the lemon juice followed by sugar.
- Mix them well, until the sugar is dissolved and refrigerate it for an hour.
- If using nannari syrup: Pour in the Nannari syrup, give a stir and refrigerate it for an hour.
Serve chilled with small pieces of lemon wedges. Can be served as dessert in lunchtime.
Note: Crumble Nungu/Ice Apple only with your hands, because this is the highlight of this dessert.
After searching online for more info on this palm fruit I found it may not be available in many areas of the U.S. and Europe. I guess Florida and Hawaii are two possibilities – forgot to ask my brother about it as he lives on the Big Island. It is definitely a warm weather tree found in hot areas such as India. Thanks for introducing this lovely fruit even though I may never be able to try it. Happy FF 🙂
I’d never heard of nungu either. It looks very refreshing!
Its a seasonal fruit frm palm tree