Lemon rice is one among the traditional and authentic food of tamilians. I use to prepare variety rice very rarely, mostly in times of lazy or when I have lemon in large quantity or when I am back to home after tour. My husband loves variety rice to core, moreover people pack lemon rice for picnic, and it would stay fresh for a day. The combination of lemon rice with paruppu vadai, potato chips and lemon pickle are unbeatable. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Steamed rice – 2 cups
- Lemon juice – ½ cup
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split black gram – ¼ tsp
- Red chilies – 4 nos
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Asafoetida / Hing – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Squeeze out the juice form lemon and pick out the seeds.
- Add in turmeric powder, asafoetida, and ½ tsp of salt to the lemon juice and mix well along with ½ cup of water.
- Pinch the red chilies into medium pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in mustard seeds, split black gram, channa dal, pinched red chilies and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Give a stir and pour in the lemon juice to it. Cook for few mins, until the lemon juice becomes thick and the oil floats to the top of it.
- Keep in medium flame, add in the steamed rice and mix it well with the lemon juice.
- Remove from the fire, once it gets mixed well.
Serve hot. I have accompanied with paruppu vadai, potato chips and lemon pickle.