As told earlier my hubby is a briyani lover, I search for more and more briyani recipes. But not only he even I love this Ambur chicken Briyani, when I started searching for the recipe, fund out many recipes but everything was similar to the basic briyani what we make, really got confused and there was only one single thing which change the taste, color and aroma of the Briyani, nothing but a commonly used ingredient “Dry red chillies”, this was the one which gives out unique taste to this Ambur Briyani. Let us move to the recipe…
- Jeera rice / Jeeragasamba Rice – 2 cups
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Dry chillies – 15 nos
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Mint leaves – a handful
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Cloves – 5 nos
- Cardamom – 3 nos
- Cinnamon – a bark
- Star Anise – 2 nos
- Bay leaf – 2 nos
- Onions – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 no
- Yogurt / Curd – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Clarified Butter – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Oil – 1 ½ tbsp
- Peel and finely chop the onions. Keep it aside.
- Soak red chilies in water for 15 mins. Drain the water and grind the red chilies to fine paste by adding little water.
- Clean the rice, soak in water for 15 mins, drain and keep it aside.
- Wash and finely chop the coriander and mint leaves, keep it aside.
- Finely chop the tomato and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and clarified butter/ghee in a pressure cooker, add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, star anise and bay leaf. Wait until it turns dark in color.
- Add in the ginger and garlic paste, cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the coriander and mint leaves, cook until they turn dark green in color.
- Add in the onions and cook until they turn golden brown color.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Add in the red chili paste and cook until the raw smell goes off or until the oil floats on the top.
- Add in the chicken pieces along with salt, cook for few mins.
- Pour in the curd/yogurt, add in the rice along with 4 cups of water, and cook until it starts boiling.
- Pressure-cook for 2 whistles, remove the lid when the pressure subsides and give a stir.
Note: Use only Jeeragasamba rice and prepare red chili paste as given above, do not substitute it with red chili powder.