Manathakkali is called as “Black Nightshade” in English. Both its leaf and berries have lots of medicinal value. The fruit is eaten raw or cooked, also they are cooked as such or in the dried form. We get it very easily in south India. In other places people use the dried form of berries which is available in packets in grocery stores. Whenever I prepare this manathakkali stir-fry I use pluck out the berries collect them in air tight container and refrigerate it and prepare curries with this berry.
Already I have shared a stir-fry recipe with this leaves as – Manathakkali Keerai Poriyal / Black Nightshade Sir-Fry, do check out this recipe also. Now I am going to share a tangy curry prepared with fresh Black Nightshade berries/Wonder Berry. This curry goes out well with steamed rice and accompanied with rice vadam / rice pappad.
Health Benefits: It helps cure liver disorder, painful periods, and stomach and mouth ulcers, improves digestion and the presence of vitamins and minerals improves the health status and reduces vomiting sensation during pregnancy. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Manathakkali / Black nightshade berries – 1 cup (100 gm)
- Onions – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 no
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Tamarind – a lemon size
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Chili powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek / Methi seeds – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic to small pieces.
- Wash and chop the tomato into small pieces.
- Prepare Tamarind extract.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the mustard seeds, split blackgram, fenugreek/methi seeds and curry leaves. Wait until they crackle.
- Add in the onions and cook until transparent.
- Add in all the spice powders along with salt and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the blacknight shade berries / manathakkali and cook for few mins.
- Add in the tomato and cook until they are mushy.
- Pour in the tamarind extract along with a cup of water, cover and cook until the oil floats on the top of the curry.
- Remove from fire and transfer to a bowl.
Serve hot with steamed rice and rice pappad.