Shikanji or shikanjvi is a famous and traditional lemonade of north Indian and Pakistan, also a best summer cooler. It is a refreshing drink, with loads of vitamin C. A very simple and easy drink which anyone can make and store it in refrigerator.
It is always made with fresh lemon juice and spiced with some black salt and roasted cumin powder. Sugar is also added and so we have sweet, salt and a lemony drink with pinch of cumin. You can substitute black salt with regular salt, but only black salt gives a good punch to the drink. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Lemon – 3 nos
- Water – 1 litre
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Black salt – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Mint leaves – 5 nos (optional)
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Cut the lemon into two equal pieces, squeeze out the juice and discard the seeds.
- Take two glasses of water in a bowl.
- Pour in the lemon juice, sugar and salt. Stir it well, until the sugar dissolves.
- Mix it with the rest of the water.
- Pour it to a tall glass and garnish with mint leaves (optional).
Refrigerate and serve chilled or serve immediately with ice cubes.