The very first time when I tasted Rava Idly in Adiga’s, Bangalore. I have been a great fan for it till today, so was hunting for this recipe long time back itself. But just now got to know this recipe and there was no late in the morning and prepared it the very next day morning.
Idly tasted delicious, as the same as that of Adiga’s. I have used Eno, for instant recipe and so it’s ready in minutes. Good to pack in lunch box for kids, also a big boon for working people. Goes out well for both breakfast and dinner when served with chutney, saagu and tiffin sambar. But since I as in hurry burry I couldn’t prepare saagu, will update the recipe of saagu soon. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Rava / Semolina – 2 ½ cups
- Curd/Yogurt – 1 ¼ cup
- Green chilies – 1 no
- Coriander leaves – two handsful
- Ginger – 2 “inch stick
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Channa dal / Bengal gram / Kadalai paruppu – ½ tsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Eno powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp (optional)
- Ghee/Clarified Butter – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
Making of Instant Rava Idly –
- In a kadai, dry roast rava/semolina until it turns golden brown. Transfer it to a bowl and let it cool.
- Heat clarified butter/ghee in a tadka, add in the mustard seeds, split blackgram, channa dal/bengalgram, curry leaves and wait until they crackle.
- Broke the cashewnuts into pieces and add in the tadka, cook until it turns golden brown. Pour it to rawa/semolina.
- Wash and finely chop the coriander leaves into fine pieces and peel and grate or finely chop the ginger and green chilies.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves, ginger, green chilies, salt, asafoetida, turmeric powder and curd/yogurt. Mix it well.
- Add in the eno powder and pour in a cup of water, give a stir, it starts bubbling.
- The batter should be in dosa consistency, wait for 5 mins.
- Now pour a spoonful of batter in the idly mould and steam for 5 mins or until the idly is done.
Serve hot with saagu, any chutney and tiffin sambar. I have accompanied with coriander chutney and tiffin sambar.
Note: Turmeric powder is optional. For more breakfast recipe, check out this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/breakfast-dinner/