Venpongal is one of the authentic and traditional breakfast among Tamilians. We prepare this during functions or for guests as breakfast. After a small break again a millet recipe – Kuthiravalli Pongal / Barnyard Millet Pongal. We had this in yercaud and felt very tasty, filling and yummy even my kids loved it to the core. So I thought of preparing it in my kitchen, the pongal came out well with delicious taste and excellent aroma. I have accompanied it with Sambar and Chutney. Also I have shared Venn Pongal with Raw rice and FoxTail Millet/Thinai . Goes out well for breakfast.
Also check my other breakfast recipes: https://madraasi.com/recipes/breakfast-dinner/. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Barnyard millet / Kuthiravalli – 1 cup
- Moong dal / Green gram dal / Paasi paruppu – ½ cup
- Ginger – 1 “inch stick
- Black peppercorns – 1 ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Clarified butter/Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Clean and wash the millet and green gram dal separately in separate bowls. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Peel and finely chop or grate the ginger into pieces.
- Crush a tsp of cumin seeds and peppercorns.
- Heat clarified butter/ghee and oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add in ½ tsp of black peppercorns, a tsp of cumin seeds and curry leaves. Wait until they crackle.
- Add in the ginger, crushed peppercorns and cumin seeds, wait until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the millet and greengram dal along with required amount of salt and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in 3 ½ cups of water and pressure-cook for 3 whistles.
- Remove the lid, once the pressure subsides.
Serve hot with Sambar, Chutney and Medhu Vada/ Blackgram Vada and top it with a tsp of clarified butter/ghee before serving.