My family is always allergic to the word “Ginger” when it comes alone. I never make dishes with ginger as a main ingredient, usually it common among tamilians off taking ginger juice once in a month, but I never prepare this. So this Ginger chutney was a wonder in my list. But I have tasted this Ginger chutney, from one of my aunty who cooks very well. Now as I read only this ginger chutney goes out well with this Pesarattu, I was about to prepare this. I have used less quantity of ginger and if you need you can increase half the amount ginger I have used.
Health benefits of Ginger:Ginger has a large use for relieving digestive problems such as nausea, loss of appetite, motion sickness and pain. Also studies have suggested that increasing consumption of plant foods like ginger decreases the risk of diabetes, obesity, heart disease and overall mortality while promoting a healthy complexion and hair, increased energy and overall lower weight.
Let us move on to the recipe…
- Ginger – 2 “ inch stick
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Red chilies – 3 nos
- Black gram – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Split Bengal gram / Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Tamarind – a pea size
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Black gram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Clean and peel the ginger, chop them into medium size.
- Heat oil in a pan, add in the ginger, garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Add in the Bengal gram and black gram, continue sating for a minute.
- Add in the red chilies and saute for few seconds.
- Remove from fire and spread it on a plate, wait for few mins.
- In a blender, take these sauted spices, grated coconut, and tamarind, jaggery, salt and blend them to a fine paste by adding water little by little.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add in the mustard seeds, split black gram and curry leaves. Wait until they crackle.
- Pour it to the chutney and give a stir.
Note: You can also saute onions and tomatoes along with this and then blend all together. You can also omit coconut for this chutney and double the amount of jaggery used here.