Porridge is known as Kanji in Tamil, commonly known as “Paal Kanji (Milk Porridge)”, usually this kanji/porridge is prepared with rice. I use to have this porridge in my childhood, my neighbor aunty prepares this at times of fasting (Good Friday), since me and my grandpa love this a lot, my neighbor aunty prepares for us also. I thought of preparing this millet (kodo millet), to make it more healthy for kids.
It was awesome and my kids loved this a lot, never expected that my kids would love this much. As I was in confusion whether the kids would love this or not, I prepared it in small quantity but after having this, my kids requested me to prepare it for the other day.
Health benefits: This Kanji is an excellent home benefits for ulcer in mouth, stomach to tongue, because of the cooling effects of it the fenugreek seeds. Also it releases and cures acidity because of the garlic in it. It is good for digestion, more over as I used kodo millet it helps in digestion and weight loss compared with rice. Also it helps in controlling the blood sugar and cholesterol. It is good to consume at times of fasting and especially good for athletes.
Let us move on to the recipe…
- Varagu Arisi / Kodo Millet – 1 cup
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Fenugreek / Methi seeds / Vendayam – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 ¼ tsp
- Milk – 2 cups
- Ginger – 1” inch stick
- Salt to taste
- Chop the garlic and ginger to small pieces.
- Take the kodo millet/ varagu arisi, ginger, garlic cloves, cumin and methi seeds in a heavy bottomed vessel.
- Pour in 5 cups of water and keep in medium flame, add in required amount of salt.
- Bring it to boil, stir in every now and then until the kodo millet gets cooked completely.
- Pour in the milk and keep in low flame, until the porridge thickens and comes to the porridge consistency.
- Remove from fire.
Serve hot with Coconut Thuvaiyal (chutney). I have accompanied it with Coconut thuvaiyal (chutney) and Red chili thuvaiyal (chutney).