I have been searching for this chutney and referred many websites, finally found out something apt for my search. Usually I am a lover of Masala Dosa, after coming to Bangalore I saw mysore masala in the menu in a hotel and thought of trying out it. I was very delicious and was crazy for its taste. But sometimes the master in the hotel, prepares this red chili chutney very spicy and I feel bad to eat. Because of this reason my daughter who love this mysore masala also stopped eating. So I thought of preparing it at home.
I prepared this red chili chutney actually for this mysore masala dosa and I got it little leftover and stored it in an airtight container. The very next day I prepared Kodo millet Porridge and accompanied with this red chili chutney and coconut thuvaiyal, it was awesome.
Check out my other chutneys and thuvaiyal recipe: https://madraasi.com/recipes/chutneys-dips/
Let us move on to the recipe…
- Channa dal – ½ cup
- Red chilies – 12 nos
- Onions – 4 nos (medium size)
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Peel and roughly chop the onions.
- Heat a kadhai, add in the channa dal and red chilies and dry roast them until channa dal starts turning golden brown.
- Pour in the oil and add in the chopped onions and roast them until raw smell goes off.
- Bring it to room temperature and grind to a fine paste by sprinkling little water, every now and then.
Can be used as spread for plain dosa, a spread for mysore masala dosa and as thuvaiyal for rasam rice or kodo millet porridge/kanji.
Note: It can be refrigerated in an airtight container for almost a week.